Submit Your Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame 2017 Nomination
It’s time to recognize those living and deceased who have made a significant contribution towards the Appalachian Trail. This year will be the seventh year of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society’s Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame. Submit your nomination for the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Class of 2017 between now and Tuesday, February 28th.
Nominees Must Have Made a Significant Contribution to the Appalachian Trail
The Appalachian Trial Museum Society’s president, Larry Luxenberg, states that
Nominees should be people who have made a significant positive contribution to the Appalachian Trail and who have unselfishly devoted their time, energy and resources toward making the Appalachian Trail a national treasure.
To see the names and biographies of the 28 individuals who have already been inducted, visit the Appalachian Trail Museum’s website.
Criteria for Appalachian Trial Hall of Fame Nominees
Nominees can be anyone, living or deceased. They must have demonstrated an exceptional and positive contribution to the Appalachian Trail or the Appalachian Trail community. Individuals who have made a significant contribution over a long period of time will receive emphasis.
Examples of exceptional and positive contributions include:
- contributions of leadership, inspiration, service, achievement or innovation
- pioneers who conceived of and developed the trail
- individuals who organized or directed major trail organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Appalachian Trail clubs
- those who maintained Appalachian Trail clubs
- longtime trail maintainers
- leaders who promoted and protected the Appalachian Trail
- hikers who have made significant accomplishments
- others who have enriched the culture or community of the Appalachian Trail
How to Make a Nomination
Anyone can make a nomination, but you may only make one nomination per election. Nominations will need to include a brief statement (under 200 words) explaining why the person you nominate fits the criteria.
Here are three ways you can make a nomination:
- You can submit a nomination online at https://surveymonkey.com/r/HTRPDD8.
- Download a paper nominatin from http://tinyurl.com/h8xp4zv.
- Request a paper nomination from the Appalachian Trail Museum.
Announcement of Winners
Winners will be announced in early May. The induction ceremony will take place on Friday, June 2, 2017 at the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet. Inductees will be enshrined on the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Wall of Honor at the Appalachian Trail Museum.
For more information about the Appalachian Trail Museum Society and the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame, visit www.atmuseum.org or email Jim Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.