Missing Hiker Geraldine Largay's Remains Positively Identified

Remains of Missing AT Hiker Geraldine "Inchworm Largay" were Located 10-14-15

Remains of Missing AT Hiker Geraldine "Inchworm Largay" were Located 10-14-15

On Friday, October 30, 2015, Maine's Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife announced the news that the Office of Chief Medical Examiner used DNA analysis to positively identify the skeletal remains of Geraldine Largay that were found on October 14, 2015 in Redington Township.

The Chief Medical Examiner (CME), in conjunction with information from investigators on the case, determined this was an accidental death, due to lack of food and water and environmental exposure.

The remains were found Wednesday morning, October 14, 2015 by a contractor conducting a forestry survey as part of an environmental impact statement on property owned by the US Navy in Redington Township. The contractor reported his findings to the Navy who subsequently alerted the Maine Warden Service. Personnel to include game wardens, State Police personnel, Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) investigators, and a Medical Examiner's Office representative hiked to the scene of the remains Thursday morning October 15, 2015.

According to the press release, the scene included skeletal remains and several pieces of clothing and belongings consistent with items known to be in Largay's possession. The remains were located west of the Maine Public Reserve Land that contains a portion of the Appalachian Trail at a point about 3,500 feet east of the easterly shore of Redington Pond.

The cell phone found in Geraldine's possession was examined by the Maine State Police Computer Crime Lab. Information found on the cell phone concluded that Gerry reached Orbeton Stream and the discontinued railroad bed crossing in the late morning of July 22, 2013. Shortly after reaching that intersection, she continued northward on the Appalachian Trail. At some point she "left the trail and became lost." The exact location where she departed the trail is unknown.

Authorities hope these findings will bring closure to one of Maine's most unique and challenging search and rescue incidents.

Geraldine "Gerry" Anita Largay, age 66, started her hike on the AT in April of 2013 at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia; her trail name was "inchworm." Her destination was Baxter State Park in Maine. Her husband George kept track of her along the way and made frequent pre-determined stops to resupply her.

On the morning of Sunday, July 21, 2013 she departed from her husband at the Route 4 AT crossing in Sandy River Plantation near the town of Rangeley. Later that day, she texted her husband and advised she was on top of Saddleback Mountain. Geraldine was last seen on the early morning of Monday, July 22 at Poplar Lean-to on the Appalachian Trail (AT) in Maine. The attached photo of Geraldine was taken July 22 at Poplar Lean-to and is the last known photo of her. She was planning to hike that day to Spaulding Lean-to in Redington Township, approximately eight miles to the north. On Tuesday, July 23, she had planned to continue hiking north from Spaulding Lean-to located in Mount Abram Township to meet her husband who was waiting for her at the Route 27 crossing. Geraldine never arrived at that location.

A Statement from the Largay Family

"We wish to thank all of those who gave their time and prayers while searching for our wife, sister, mother, and grandmother. We especially would like to thank the entire Maine Warden Service for their dedication to this case. It became apparent from day one that this was personal to them and they would not rest until Gerry was found. After all of the communication and information from everyone involved including the Medical Examiner's Office, Navy, and the Maine Attorney General's Office, these findings are conclusive in that no foul play was involved and that Gerry simply made a wrong turn shortly after crossing Orbeton Stream. Now that we know her death was an accident, we again ask all media for the respect of our privacy as we continue our grieving process with this new chapter of closure."

We are thankful that Inchworm was finally found, although we regret the circumstances.

May her family and friends find solace, comfort and closure.

Background: Remains of Geraldine "Inchworm" Found

Tags: Appalachian Trail, Hiking, News, Accidents, Appalachian Trail Clubs, Maine Appalachian Trail Club, Rescues, Robert Sutherland Travel Writer, Hikers, Accident, geraldine largay found, gerry largay inchworm remains found, and missing hiker remains found

About the Author Robert Sutherland:
Robert Sutherland is a travel writer enjoying life. Robert has two adult daughters and six grandchildren.
Related Articles

Published May 26, 2016. The Maine Warden Service believes the remains of missing Appalachian Trail hiker Geraldine Largay were located on October 14, 2015. Here are the details.

Geraldine Largay, an experienced hiker and nurse, vanished from the Appalachian Trail two years ago on July 22, 1013. Where is the lady we called Inchworm?

Appalachian Trail hiker Geraldine Largay, whose Trail name was "Inchworm" due to her speed, disappeared from the Trail in Maine one year ago. Where is she?

Searchers scoured the Appalachian Trail in Maine looking for missing hiker Gerry Largay, aka "Inchworm." They say, "She's not there."

The case of the hiker who went missing from the Appalachian Trail in Maine in 2013 gets curiouser and curiouser with news of Geraldine Largay's journal.

Read the State of Maine's Medical Examiner's report of the death of Geraldine Largay here.

Published Oct 16, 2015. After 2 years, 2 months & 24 days, the remains of Geraldine "Inchworm" Largay (the hiker who vanished from the Appalachian Trail in Maine) were located.

The best trail mix is healthy, tasty and beneficial. So is this Appalachian Trail advice that will inspire you and empower you to thrive the Trail.

Maine Wardens returned to the Appalachian Trail to search for Gerry Largay, aka "Inchworm." Again, they found no new clues.

John Pavel on Nov 5, 2015
What do I think? I think the CME is full of crap. There is no way a woman of her hiking experience just gets lost and starves with the resources she had and knowledge of the trails. I have no clue what happened but the CME's story is garbage.
hillsmom on Nov 5, 2015
Could she have had some sort of medical problem? I think I remember something about her having meds with her. Will there be further information coming? I'm glad the family has closure now. But it's very strange...
jeffjapan055 on Nov 5, 2015
If she did, and I've read everything, would have been part of Med examiner report. Only med issue noted was 'bad back' limited her pack resupply to 3-5 days. Something's someone's out there we're not being told, due to Navy land? Misadventure? Why didn't Navy join search, or allow MES search Navy lands, but attended recovery remains? Why wasn't 'Ivanich' mystery hiker interviewed about mystery phone call to Gerry's husband's motel day she inexplicably went off trail saying 'Gerry will be day late'?! Every time state reports 'finding' raises more q's, nonsense answers. Gerry hikes 1000 miles wout incident, then at Navy land on well marked AT, with maps/compass goes off trail, where unknown?
jeffjapan055 on Nov 5, 2015
Buying none of it! Waiting for full Med examiner report. Would you buy any of this if your loved one? Why is her family?
jeffjapan055 on Nov 5, 2015
Exactly, see my Jeff Smith FB postings since 'found'.
jeffjapan055 on Nov 5, 2015
If this (Brentwood Homepage news photo of IFW/MWS search of her 'campsite') is an example of the 'dense woods' first described by IFW/MWS searchers as one of reasons couldn't find Gerry, even with dogs, and now this photo identified as her 'campsite' (implying a tent found, but we're told nothing but 'belongings' and now med exam'r report using her 'cellphone'), then I've never seen 'dense'. I call this a clearing in the woods. Why did she 'stop' and camp' here? As it's been said, first rule of 'lost' is 'stay where you are' to make it easier to be found. Why wasn't she found in first days/weeks post-July 24, 2013, if she was 'waiting' here with all her normal gear (tent, bag, raingear, warm clothes, survival whistle etc, food, water and cellphone tracking/signaling her location) all AT thru-hikers carry? I don't buy any of 'accident' conclusions other than positive ID--can't fake DNA!
Charlotte Ryan on Nov 5, 2015
First of all it sounds like she didn't get lost right at the stream crossing which might have been slightly believable. She continued on the AT. No one is asking the most important question. How well is the AT blazed in this specific area? If it is well blazed getting lost is difficult to imagine, especially since she already made it through New Hampshire where white blazes are often faded and the AT badly maintained. Also when I hike alone I am especially careful to stay on the trail at all times.